Henry Rotton MLA for Hartley

 

  Coach operator and Member of Parliament

 

 
Date of Death: 11/10/1881

Parliamentary Service

Position Start End Period Parliament Notes
Member of the NSW Legislative Assembly 28 Jan 1858 10 Nov 1864 6yr(s) 9mth(s) 14day(s)    
Member for Western Boroughs 28 Jan 1858 11 Apr 1859 1yr(s) 2mth(s) 15day(s) 2nd (1858 - 1859)
Member for Hartley 25 Jun 1859 10 Nov 1860 1yr(s) 4mth(s) 17day(s) 3rd (1859 - 1860)  
Member for Western Boroughs 14 Dec 1860 10 Nov 1864 3yr(s) 10mth(s) 28day(s) 4th (1860 - 1864)

Condition of the Bathurst Road Committee No.279 Dec 18594 Jul 18606mths 26days3rd (1859 - 1860)Chairman, appointed 20 December 1859

Qualifications, occupations and interests

Pastoralist. Failed to enter navy; became midshipman and later an officer in merchant marine. Arrived on Kangaroo Island, South Australia, as second mate on Emma in 1836. Journeyed to Sydney and worked in a merchants office; became licensee at the Queen Victoria Inn, Solitary Creek, near Rydal in February 1839; acquired pastoral interests with brother in law. Became a mail coach proprieter in 1849. Ran mail coaches from Bathurst to Orange, Wellington and Hartley until 1857.

Purchased Balcktown estate near Kelso in 1853 and became a successful horse and cattle breeder. had no squatting interests in unsettled districts. Later acquired a squatting run in Lachlan district. Director of Bathurst Sheep Board in 1866. Chairman from 1869 until 1881. On local public school board from 1868. Chairman from 1874.

Personal

Son of Gilbert Rotton, solicitor, and Mary Caroline Humphries. Married (1) Lorn Jane Macpherson in 1839 and had issue 1 daughter and 1 son. Married (2) Ann Ford on 18 March 1844 and had issue 6 daughters and 5 sons. Baptist.


 

Additional Information

Personal papers in the Mitchell Library, State Library of New South Wales: Henry Rotton - correspondence and papers, 1836 - 1846 (MLMSS 593). Biography and portrait in ‘Australian Men of Mark’, Volume 1. Sydney, [?1889] , page 121

Hartley was an electoral district of the Legislative Assembly in the Australian state of New South Wales, originally created in 1859 in the Lithgow area and named after the town of Hartley, near Lithgow. It replaced part of Cook and Westmoreland. From 1891 to 1894, it elected two members. In 1920, with the introduction of proportional representation, it was absorbed into Bathurst, along with Orange. It was recreated in 1927 and abolished in 1968 and partly replaced by Blue Mountains.[1]

Members for Hartley

Single-member (1859—1891)
Member Party Term
  Henry Rotton None 1859—1864
  John Lucas None 1864—1869
  James Neale None 1869—1872
  Thomas Brown None 1872—1876
  John Hurley None 1876—1880
  Robert Abbott None 1880—1882
  Walter Targett None 1882—1887
  John Hurley Free Trade 1887—1891

Western Boroughs was a former electoral district for the Legislative Assembly in the Australian state of New South Wales from 1856 to 1859. It included the towns of Bathurst, Carcoar and Kelso, while the surrounding rural areas were in Bathurst (County) and Cook and Westmoreland. It was replaced by Bathurst and Carcoar.

Bathurst was created in 1859, partly replacing Western Boroughs. Between 1920 to 1927, it absorbed parts of Hartley and Orange and elected three members under proportional representation. In 1927 Bathurst, Hartley and Orange were recreated as single-member electorates.

Member for Western Boroughs

Member Party Period
  Arthur Holroyd None 1856–1857
  Henry Rotton None 1857–1859

 

History

Orange was created in 1859. Orange and Hartley were absorbed into Bathurst, which elected three members under proportional representation, between 1920 to 1927. In 1927 Bathurst, Hartley and Orange were recreated as single-member electorates.

Members for Orange

Single member (1859—1880)
Member Party Term
  Saul Samuel None 1859—1860
  John Peisley None 1860—1862
  James Martin None 1862—1863
  Charles Cowper, Jr. None 1863—1864
  William Forlonge None 1864—1867
  George McKay None 1867—1869
  Saul Samuel None 1869—1872
  Harris Nelson None 1872—1877
  Edward Combes None 1877—1879
  Andrew Kerr None 1879—1880

 

 

Mudgee MLA Lyttleton Bayley resigned on 26 November 1859. The resulting by-election on 19 December 1859 was won by Samuel Terry.7 West Macquarie MLA John McPhillamy resigned on 6 December 1859. The resulting by-election on 28 December 1859 was won by Henry Mort, who was unopposed.3 East Macquarie MLA William Suttor resigned on 13 September 1859. The resulting by-election on 6 October 1859 was won by Thomas Hawkins.18 Wellington MLA Nicolas Hyeronimus died on 27 June 1860. The resulting by-election on 26 July 1860 was won by Silvanus Daniel.

There was no party system in New South Wales politics until 1887. Under the constitution, ministers were required to resign to recontest their seats in a by-election when appointed. These by-elections are only noted when the minister was defeated; in general, he was elected unopposed.

 
Cook and Westmoreland was an electoral district of the Legislative Assembly in the Australian state of New South Wales in the first and second Parliaments (1856-1859), named after Cook and Westmoreland counties in the Blue Mountains, Lithgow and Oberon areas. It was largely replaced by Hartley. It elected two members simultaneously, with voters casting two votes and the first two candidates being elected.[1][2]

Member for Cook and Westmoreland

Member Party Period Member Party Period
  James Martin None 1856–1859   Robert Jamison None 1856–1859
Saturday 17 September 1859

 

The Broad Wheel Act of 1753 required wagons, drawn by more than 5 Horses, to have Wheels Nine Inches in Width. Then the Turnpiking of roads became a frenzy,

Saturday 17 September 1859