|FATAL DYNAMITE EXPLOSION IN NEW SOUTH WALES. [BY ELECTRIC
TELEGRAPH.] (FROM OUR OWN CORRESPONDENT )
About 8 o'clock on Monday morning a dreadful accident
occurred at Mrs. Paddison's Hotel, Crown Ridge, distant about 20
miles from Wallerwang, on the Mudgee-road, It appears that a
gentleman named Charles Gault, who was acting as agent for a
dynamite company, had made an appointment with Mr, Monie and Mr,
Morton, two of the Mudgee railway contractors, to meet .them
that morning at Mrs. Paddison's hotel, for the purpose of
testing the dynamite, some of which he was trying to dispose of
When the servant girl took his breakfast into the room, Mr.
Gault was seated at the table writing. But a few minutes had
elapsed after the girl left the room when an awful explosion was
heard. On the smoke and dust clearing away, and when the
confusion had subsided, it was noticed that the whole building,
with the exception of the bar and two adjoining rooms, had been
completely demolished. Mrs. Paddison and her family escaped
unhurt, but they received a great shock, and were blackened from
head to foot.
A search was made for the unfortunate gentleman, when one leg
with a portion of the body attached was found hanging to the
rafters, the trunk and a portion of the head being discovered on
the roof of the kitchen about 30 yards away from the scene of
the explosion. The entrails and the other leg were tom to
shreds, and distributed in every direction, A magisterial
inquiry was held at the hotel on Tuesday, when a verdict of "
Killed by the accidental explosion of dynamite," was returned.
Shortly after the inquiry was held the remains were placed in a
coffin, and taken to Bowenfels for interment. The face has not
yet been found. The quantity of dynamite that must have exploded
was 14 1b., as that was the quantity the unfortunate deceased
had previously stated he had brought for testing.