|Inns of Hartley - the Royal Garter /Coach & Horses|
The Royal Garter. There is a lot of speculation about this Inn.
Where was it,? who owned it ?, why did it get demolished?
There are two records of Publicans Licenses for the Royal Garter in 1830 and 1831 when Pierce Collit was still operating Collits Inn at Mount York, which he named the Golden Fleece. When he was changing the name from the Golden Fleece it says on the license "no other licensed establishment within 22 miles:". On 1st July 1830 at Bathurst he obtained a grant of a publican’s license under the sign of ‘The Royal Garter”.
However then in 1839/40 there are Publican Licence Records of the Royal Garter at the River Lett run by Thomas Morris (who was married to Pierces daughterSophia )
The Royal Garter was a solid stone, reasonably lavish establishment and much similar floor plan as the Royal, which is currently located near the Court House. A clear description was given in the Auction notice. This is of interest as to why it was going under the auctioneers hammer. Why was the building demolished? Louisa Meredith's description of it as being an Inn very badly run with many intoxicated servants. One theory is that it burn down, which probably makes sense. Her comments are; a new glarinlgy smart looking inn here promised tolterable accommodation; it was as fine as twenty different coloured kinds ofp paint could make it. Pannellings and "pickings out of rainbow hues were et off by pillars of imitative and varnished marble, the like of which no quaryy ever knew, and those again touched up with bronze paint and gilding, gleamed in the sun with almost dazzling lustre.
A good verandah led by French windows to the two front rooms.. a few gaudy ily painted chairs , a small bad mirro in a large gilt frame thickly shrouded in yellow gauze and a new cedar table covered with tobacco ashes and liquor -stains compsoed the furniture of either apartment.
She goes on to describe the druken servant girl and how all the male portions of the household were also drunk - the larfer being therefore very ill-supplied- they were given bread and eggs but no ham and told "there was plenty o ale an'speerits. It is curious tha the furniture at Collits Inn was described as fine and the Inn to be simple and in keeping, whereas this Inn appears to be garish and testelss. Fourteen Journyers over the Blue Mountains P248. L A Meredith.
In Lorna Hawkins book "Our Innkeeper " she states that the Inn at the River Lett described as being auctioned was the Coach and Horses. However the report of the murder of Caroline Collits describes that they had been drinking at an Inn at the bottom of the Pass called The Coach and Horses run by one Jaggers" and that the inquiry took place there as well. The proprietors name on the Publicans Cards is given as John Jager.
Licensed in 1830, in 1840 it changed its name to Coach and Horses and was run by James Harvard. In 1842 Jospeh Jagger took up the license and Joseph Wood was holding ht elicence in 1853. It appears that 1954 wass the time lastme that a license was held for building.
This Inn was on Pierce Colletts/Collits land just before the wooden bridge at River Lett on the old Western Road.
|Other Inns at Hartley was the Farms Inn and The Shamrock Inn (Built in 1841)|
Extracts from research documents from Collits Inn by Chritine Stewart..
Pierces daughter Sophie mentions in a letter dated 31st Janruay 1830 that her father was thinking of building another Inn.
,Royal Garter Mount York, Pierce Collits publican.
The early maps of 1830-32 show no other building but Collits Inn.
Peirce Collits tells the Governor in October 1832 that he has ready a quantity of material for building a new Inn.
In a letter reports notice in Sydney Gazette of April 24 (year uncertain probably 1830?) saying Pierce was changing the name from Golden Fleece to the Kings Garter (BMHS Mt Vic)
However there is a letter dated 12th December 1828 saying that Pierce will loose his license if he permits soldiers to drink to excess in his House.
The application for the license for the Royal Garter stated never before licensed,.
(In 1836/1858 an Inn named The Coach and Horses operated at Bathurst)