AMBERMERE ROSE INN

It was sold to various owners and became quite run down till the Morrisons undertook major renovations in 1960 and won an Herald award for the restorations.  Below is some of the images taken as well as sketches  in the preceeding years

Below is an image of a derelict building, nearly falling down.  The  windows were boarded up and the western wall had buttresses to hold them up.  The sketch of the courtyard reveals the condition.

 
Image Date unknown

The Rose Inn had  closed in 1874 and this was around 50 years later well after its hey day.  It was owned by  various people before the Morrison's undertook the massive renovation project.

LEWIS DUFF resided at Rose Inn after George Lewington and his  sister Elizabeth ceased occupying it.  Lewis died at Katoomba in 1927.   Then Mr Duval resided there, who was listed as a “ Motor Tyre Executive”,   then came Mr Radcliffe who was listed as manager of Textile Factory.  At the time in Lithgow  the Lithgow Woollen Mills  were in full production, so he probably worked there.   Next was Mr Maple Brown, then Mr  Morrison  who ran the Ambermere Pastoral Company from the property. They installed the cattle yards and coolroom and small meat processing shed.   Mr Morrison changed the name to Ambermere.

Sketch 1920.
Sketch 1920

 

Image 1872

Built  between 1830 and 1845 by Joseph Collitts originally as a home, then was used as an Inn.  The Rose Inn had a very  profitable period of trading before it was closed as an Cobb & Co staging  inn in 1873 once travel by  railways was introduced.

The Collits family came to the Hartley Valley in 1823 when Pierce Collits erected his Golden Fleece Inn in Hartley Vale at the base of the Mt York   Then Major Mitchel decided to build a new road down off the mountain and commenced  building the Victoria Pass and the Collits Inn at Hartley Vale was compensated for loss of trade with various grants of land in the area.

The Rose Inn was first recorded as having a license in 1846 to Joseph Collits and then several licensees operated the Inn.

Back in the 1870's the panorama shows a total of 9 buildings on the site with a silo for the flour mill which Joseph operated.  It was very prosperous to be able to supply both flour and ale, meat and lodgings to the travelers seeking their fortune on the goldfields and Joseph and the licensees all did very well from the boom in gold.

The original kitchen has been demolished early this century after serving as a private schoolhouse. All the other buildings have also been demolished as the clay bricks made from the local clay did not weather very well as can be seen in the remaining chimneys. 

There were three main rooms, with 12 smaller accommodations under the main roof,  with a large detached kitchen, an servants quarters, a hay stable, a coaching stable, a meat room, a milking room, a woolshed, an a flour mill. The interior walls are 22inch thick sandstone faced with claybricks made on the property. Some of the original ceilings made from lather and plaster are still in place while others have been replaced with pressed metal early in the 1900's.  This is a fine example of early Georgian construction with its shorter doors, many fireplaces 12 paned windows and wide skirting boards.

 Jim & Sandra Dicker bought the property in the 70's - (Joe and Carol Dicker still live across the road in the historic 1832 Harp of Erin Inn now operating as a unique gallery). Gary and Glenda Lane bought the property in 1999.

 

Any further images or information would be greatly appreciated